Sunday, August 30, 2009

Treatment #2

I had my second treatment last week and it was not fun at all. I was in the hospital from Monday to Saturday and it was a very difficult week…between the tiredness, nausea, confusion and all the other crap you experience when on this stuff, it wasn't a lot of fun. By the end of the five days, just brushing my teeth was something I would lay in bed and think about…it's hard to describe what it's like when such a trivial task becomes so difficult, but for some reason it was. One minute I'd be fine, and I would lay down for a quick nap, then wake up six hours later and have no idea what day it was or anything. It's funny though, because within one day of getting out of the hospital I started to feel better and literally got stronger and felt better every hour. By now I am starting to feel normal again and I should be recovered just in time for my next treatment! I've lost my hair, finally and I think I look funny bald. Good thing for hats!!

The worst part is just being in the hospital (it feels like I've spent half of August in the hospital…close to it). The staff at Crouse are awesome, and make it a lot better than it could be, but just laying there in that 8x10 room for so long really takes it's toll on you. You start to feel like you don't want to do anything but stare at the clock and count down the hours until you go home. Because of the chemo I don't eat most of the time I am there (I eat more towards the end of the week), so you get weak and by the last day I am literally sitting there starting at the clock.

The next steps are going back to Houston (this week) to make sure the treatment is working. I am pretty sure it is, but they want to be sure before continuing me on this therapy. I will have the regular tests done and then we will meet with Dr. Ravi to see whether the tumor has shrunk since treatment started, as well as to see if the other spots are still active. It will also be important to make sure there aren't any new tumors. After that, I go back to the hospital on Tuesday to start my third treatment (I go in Tuesday because of the holiday). We are going to talk to Dr. Ravi about the potential of getting the therapy as an outpatient, but I am not going to get my hopes up on that.

Even though these have been the worst weeks of my life, I've still got a great attitude about this. I tell myself all the time that this treatment is what I need to survive this cancer and I am willing to endure it for as long as I need to if it will put me in remission. My support system is amazing - Shana, my parents and family are always there when I need them, and I am so grateful for them. Thanks you guys.


Meg Sullivan said...

So happy to hear you are out of the hospital and home now Will.
Stay strong. Prayers are for you EVERY day!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for update, Will. Stay strong! You're in the thick of the fight, and doing well. We're all thinking of you and praying for you every day.


Anonymous said...

As Ive said before you are an amazing man.. Your strength to beat this awful cancer is unreal! It may take time but I know you will win this battle! Good luck in Houston this week. Looking foward to hearing the good news. I love you and will be up to see you for treatment #3. Stay strong and never stop fighting... You will win.. Cause we all believe in "WillPower"
Love you and talk with you soon!

John said...

Hi, Will:

Sorry to hear about your very tough week. You are the strongest person I know. I hope treatment #2 is successful in shrinking the tumors.

Kind regards,

John McKenney

Anonymous said...

Will, I'm so glad you are posting updates- I think of you often and wish you well each day. Don't forget the healing power of laughter- pop in a Stooges video or some "Airplane" to make those hospital hours pass quicker, and hopefully you will be stonger and better soon.

Sue Conklin

toni.grundig said...

Hey, Will......hang in there. You can beat it. My mom beat cancer at the age of 37 and lived till
83. Your young and strong and have the best of all, family and friends and co-workers who love you and pray for you.

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting to see your post - I check it all the time and think of you each day. My prayers are with you - your a very brave man with the best attitude I have ever seen. Glad you are home from the hospital. I bet you are so much more comfortable at home. Hope you are feeling better each day....Love, Marianne

Anonymous said...

Will, we are thinking about you and praying for you all the time. Good luck in Houston, and keep up the positive attitude!

Dom and Andrea

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration to everyone who knows you. God bless you and keep you in his care. I will be thinking of you and praying as well.

Carole Roberts

Anonymous said...

Will, Leaving on a jet plane for Houston tomorrow to be with you when we get the good news that this chemo is working! You truely are amazing and I love you so much!!!

jennoonan said...

Keep that positive attitude! That makes such a difference!

Please know you have so many people rooting for you and sending positive thoughts!

You can beat this!